What kind of chicken is this

barngem

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Northern Michigan

This is not the best picture but he has a little puff of feathers under his comb and his comb is flat walnut type with what looks like two little for in the back. He is quite docile and quiet.

I purchased a hen at an auction with 10 chicks, I did not sex them. But someone did all but two were roosters. Now I have 6 roosters left and two are silky feathered and this guy and one is a barred rock bantam and the other two are kinda grey white bantam I guess they are all bantam actually. There was one beautiful rooster I planned to keep along with this guy and somehow even though they were all free ranging he was the one that got eaten. He had blue legs and he was just beautiful. Anyway I did see a rooster that was some sort of Mexcan chicken that this guy resembled but this guy is much prettier. Would love it if anyone can help.
Oh anyone in northern michigan that would like the silkie guys they are free for the having.
The other silky feathered guy looks like this only the other is buff and brown/black just the opposite color of this one.

Last edited:
So your saying the first chicken is a silkie mix even though he has no silkie feathers?
The Second chicken yes that is evident due to the silky feathers. But I was asking about the first one. So maybe I was not clear

So your saying the first chicken is a silkie mix even though he has no silkie feathers?
The Second chicken yes that is evident due to the silky feathers. But I was asking about the first one. So maybe I was not clear

The first is indeed a silkie mix. In order for the silkie feather to show, it must have two copies of the gene. So if only one parent had the gene, the offspring will have smooth feathers, rather than silkie feathers. The top hat and feathered legs, leds to being half silkie, and dark legs.

I actually had a silkie cross at one point that looks exactly like that, the mom was a silkie, and the dad was a d'uccle/serama cross.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom