What kind of chicken should I get?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lundygman, Mar 1, 2008.

1. lundygman

lundygman New Egg

Feb 29, 2008
    My Mom says I can get 4 chickens. We are going to be putting in our order this week. I want to get a Rhode Island Red and a White Leghorn. What other two chickens should I get? I want something that is friendly and easy to handle. I know about chickens from helping Mom with the ones we have now. Your help would be nice. Thanks

2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    barred rock, buff orpington

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

black australorp and speckled sussex

4. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
    Is a constant supply of largish eggs an important part of the equation? If yes, my RI Red has turned out to have a great temperment & to be an amazing layer of giant size brown eggs. We're all crazy about her. On the other hand, I can't run up to her and pick her up like I can my Silkies and my Cochins. I have recently become a huge Cochin fan just because I've had such good luck with the 2 I have. They both are amazingly gentle, sweet, loveable cuties. I have 5 separate pens of silkies (by color) and they're probably my all-time favs, but I've truly been blown away by the gentle temperments of my Cochins. Of course, my Silkies lay smallish eggs & the Cochin I have is a true pet who roams free & is no longer laying (she's my rescue bird), so I can't comment on egg size for her. The temperment question really has to be answered in the context of what else you're looking for/how important a steady supply of good sized eggs is.

Laura

5. lundygman

lundygman New Egg

Feb 29, 2008
    Thanks for your help. I was wondering if araucana's would be OK? Are they friendly? I would like the colored eggs. Egg size and how many doesn't really matter. I am keeping these as pets.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

those are great too- i have one and liked it so much i ordered 10 more! Ameraucanas anyway- more like an easter egger, but i really like her and my boys love her eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by