What kind of chicken would they be

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eggcited2, Sep 7, 2010.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I saw some chickens yesterday that the woman said were buff orpington bantams. They did have the buff coloring. They were small, round rolly polly looking. They had very "fuzzy' legs and feet.

I have tried looking on the chicken web sites. I can't find any buff orpingtons bantams that have the fuzzy feet and legs. They do have other kind of buff bantams, but the coloring is not quite like the ones I saw. The ones I saw were the solid buff; and on the sites the buff bantams that have any feathers on their legs and/or feet have dark around the head and neck.

When I look up buff orpington (regular chickens, not bantams) they show chickens with clean legs and feet.

The gal insisted the ones she has are buff *orpington* bantams.

Was she wrong on the name of them? What kind would they have been?

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
  3. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I used to have a buff cochin banty and a BO at the same time. They were the same color. Cochin are so sweet!!!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi eggcited!

I'm thinking buff cochins too......cochins are super fluffy and they do have the feathery legs. [​IMG]

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Yes, she was wrong. Buff Orpingtons have cleans legs. Buff Cochins have feathered feet and legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by