What kind of Chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GinnyMac, Oct 9, 2016.

1. GinnyMac

GinnyMac New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    Our local SPCA brings me abandoned chickens on a regular basis (city approved 5 backyard hens last year). This time of year there are many being dumped and they are not equipped to house them. Since we have a large homestead it`s not an issue. The past two weeks saw four rhode island reds, two welsummers, two brahmas and two chicks of unknown breeding turn up. The chicks are just starting to feather out and are supposed to be both pullets. They are tiny but I put them at maybe two to three weeks based on feathering. One is larger while the smaller one is starting to get a comb... (which I'm thinking means male and female if they are the same age based on size,feathering and comb) all black except a white line going down from the neck to belly... legs are also black... I`m stumped. Anyone know what breed of chicken has all black chicks with a belly line? No spots on the heads,neck or wings all black except the belly stripe.... not the best picture but they aren't real social right now... any guesses?[​IMG]

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Better pictures would help. Do they have feathered legs? what color are the legs? Where do you live? How old are they?

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They could be australorps.

4. GinnyMac

GinnyMac New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    I will take better pictures.. no feathers on the legs, legs on the smaller bird are black all the way down.... larger bird are black to the toes where they start to yellow... bottom of feet on both birds is light yellow.... very light yellow... wondering if they might be Jersey Giants... I'm in southern Quebec Canada

5. GinnyMac

GinnyMac New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    Roughly four weeks now... no white tip on wing feathers so should I rule out Australops?\

6. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    If they have yellow feet, yes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by