1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What kind of chickens and gender are these? Please Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Waddlemyway, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Waddlemyway

Waddlemyway In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Hey everyone! I am new at this chicken thing and I got two chickens and was under the impression they were both hens. However, as I continue researching this might not be [​IMG]. Can anyone help me distinguish what breeds and gender they are? The first I thought was a partridge cochin? I was told the 2nd is a buff brahma and is a hen. Please help because we can not have roosters where we live.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What is it that now has you questioning their gender? Both look to be female to me - though the brahma looks younger/less mature than the cochin. How old were you told each bird was? How long have you had them?

and
    [​IMG]

3. Waddlemyway

Jul 25, 2014
    I was not told an age because I basically rescued them from an auction. I started questioning because the partridge suddenly started crowing the last couple days. We have had the partridge for almost 3 weeks and the brahma for about 2 weeks. However, I heard some hens will crow to make up for lack of a rooster? I really hope they are hens because they are so sweet!

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I asked the age as you had said "older hens" - understand now about how you came to have them.

Crowing hens are not nearly as common as some believe - yes, it does happen, but it is more of an exception than a rule. Can you get closer shots of the cochin's hackle and saddle areas - it may help (if it is amenable to being handled) to use a piece of paper to place under a layer of feathers to make the feathering more visible vs. blending with the rest of the feathers underneath.

5. Waddlemyway

Jul 25, 2014
    Yeah, sorry I should have said pullets, which is what I meant we have chicks too so I guess I'm just use to saying "older". Here are some other pictures of the feathers:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Waddlemyway

Jul 25, 2014
    And thank you for welcoming me!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

If you got them from an auction, they're likely both cockerels. Not knowing specific age makes it harder, but a bird that young crowing is male. Older, dominant females with hormonal issues can crow, but not young female birds.

8. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Your brahma looks to be a cockerel as brahma pullets usually don't start redding up like this until about 18-20 weeks. Your Cochin is a boy too, sorry :(

9. Waddlemyway

Jul 25, 2014
    Any other comments? I want to make sure everyone is on the same page before I go through finding them new homes.

10. AwlOrganikLizz

AwlOrganikLizz In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Beautiful birdies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: