What kind of chickens are these? (several pics)

pixiechic

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
North GA
We were given these chix by a neighbor, who said they are "meat birds," but I'm beginning to suspect they might not be. They look huge to me, but I'm new to raising chickens. Earl started crowing about a month ago, is exhibiting very protective/aggressive behaviour, and actively tries to mate with Lucille every chance he gets. Lucille has not laid any eggs yet, but I don't have a great nest box for her yet. They are somewhere between 8-10 months old.

Meet Earl and Lucille:

earl_01.jpg

lucille_02.jpg

lucille_earl_01.jpg

White rocks? White leghorns? Something else?

Last edited:
i was thinking rooster maybe a White rhode island. (white version of a rhode island red). But i do not know honestly. hen looks like a Broiler. so she maybe half. Broiler is a meat bird.

Like dangerouschicken, I vote White Rock! They don't look like my nephew's leghorns. His White Leghorn roos have a yellow thing (sorry! I don't know what it's called) hanging off of its head by the wattles. Yours are not leghorns.
smile.png

Quote:
I agree. I have some rescues of these and they are the goofiest things!

They are goofy, and they do have some dirty butts! I'd never seen that on a chicken before.

But I'm pretty goofy too...I just now discovered the What Breed Or Gender is This? section, which is where I should have posted this. Mods, feel free to move my thread if you like.
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom