what kind of chickens are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NGILBERT88, Nov 17, 2010.

1. NGILBERT88

NGILBERT88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    I think I have 6 hens and 2 roosters. Obviously the white one is a rooster but what kind? One of the darker red ones, I believe is a rooster. He is starting to get nubs were the spurs are going to be. What kind are the 4 light red hens? What kind are the 2 dark red chickens? What kind of hen is the dark goldish one? The guy I got them from said they are about 7 months old. I just got them a week ago and I am new to the chicken business.

Any help would be apprecitated.

Thanks alot,
    Nick

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    The White and Black one and the gold and Black one look like a pair of Black Sexlinks from a Buff Orp roo on Barred Rock hens, they are nearly identical to mine.

Hens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roo ( with RIWhite hens)
    [​IMG]

The two dark red ones are production reds and one looks like it has dark saddle feathers and it may be a roo but the tail is plucked out or molting.

the other 4 hens look like Buff Orps and/or Buff Orp X RIR/ Production Red.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your rooster looks like a black sexlink, which is a mix of a red or buff rooster over a barred rock hen. I'd agree with rareroo, your roo and the gold and black hen look like the same cross he has. Sex link chickens are called that because their color is linked to what sex they are, boys are one color and girls another, so you can tell gender at hatching. Your dark reds are production reds, basically a hatchery quality rhode island red that's been bred more for egg laying and not "type". I'm not seeing one being a roo and spurs aren't an indicator. Look at your balck and white roo, see how the feathers on his neck and in front of his tail are long and pointy? Look for those, along with a larger comb and wattles. Your lighter birds look to be a mix, I'm not sure what but rareroo has some good suggestions. Are they laying yet? They all look like they're from good egg-laying breeds, you should have pretty brown eggs, and maybe babies next spring if a hen goes broody. It's a pretty flock!

4. NGILBERT88

NGILBERT88 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    Thanks alot for the info. They haven't started laying yet. I just got them some laying mash and I am in the process of building there laying boxes. I kinda started this thing on the fly but I should have everything 100% by this weekend. The guy I got the chickens from was giving them away cause he had to many. They were hatched in march. He said some of the flock were starting to lay so hopefully the ones I have will all lay soon. I am excited, I have a 9 year old daughter and she loves them. When can I expect to getting eggs? Do you have any tips on good egg laying.

Thanks,
    Nick

5. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    If they are 7 months they should be laying very soon. Thats kinda odd that none of what looks to me like 6 hens aren't laying yet and they are 7 months. The two really light ones look like a buff orpington but the next is a little darker so maybe a mix with something else, and the other two lighter reds look kinda like a red star. There combs look fairly pink to me still. When they get a nice red color they will start start to lay or soon after.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    They may not lay until Spring though if they are turning laying age in winter. I have had some chickens that act like turkeys. Turkeys generally start laying the spring after they turn six months and the laying/breedings season usually only goes to to august. so if you had a turkey that gets to laying age in the fall or winter, you will have to wait til spring for them to start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by