What kind of chickens are these???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DesertDawg, May 12, 2007.

1. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Arizona
    Finally figured out my page. [​IMG]
    Does anyone know what kind of chickens I have? See them on my page. The roo looks like one I saw while looking through breeds but his comb is different. And I am sure his girls are not the same breed.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The girls almost look like brown laced Wyandottes (is that the correct color name, Wyandotte experts??). Don't have a clue what the roo is but he is very pretty.

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Best guess game crosses. White legs w/pea comb could have Yokohama in them, not long enough tail for Yokohama's.

Hens look to have single comb rather than pea comb.

4. Unbridled

Unbridled Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Moses Lake, WA
    The girls look just like my golden sex link hens, and the rooster looks like and Old english game cross

5. DesertDawg

May 10, 2007
    Arizona
    I thought they might be a mix. Don't want to sound stupid but what exactly does sex link and game cross mean? I have seen the sex link name of different looking chickens.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  6. DesertDawg

May 10, 2007
    Arizona
    I looked at the Old English Game. He looks like it except for his comb. The ones in the picture have pointed combs.

7. elvisfreak

elvisfreak Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2007
    not sure about the breed of chickens but i love their names. nice to find a fellow elvis fan and chicken farmer as well. ill be in the holy land of memphis next weekend.lol

8. DesertDawg

May 10, 2007
    Arizona
    They came to us already named, but we kept the names.

9. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I'll try to explain the terms for you.
    Game cross....result of breeding a "gaming bird" (fighting breed) & another breed of chicken.
    Your roo looks like a cross with a Old English Game & another breed that may have had a pea comb. His body type screams Old English, but the comb says he is a cross bred.

Sex Link... result of breeding two different breeds of chickens, so that the chicks can be sexed at hatch by color. Females will be one color & the males a slightly different color.
    Not every cross-breeding of chickens will result in a sex-linked chick.
    There are several varieties of sex links. Yours look like the golden sex link. A cross of A Rhode Island Red rooster & a Rhode Island White hen.

I hope I helped in explaining these to you. It gets kinda confusing sometimes with all the different breeds.

Good pictures & good looking chickens!!!

Jean

10. DesertDawg

May 10, 2007
    Arizona
    Last edited: May 17, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by