What kind of Chickens are these

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by psmith, Nov 14, 2013.

1. psmith

psmith Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2012
    Okay I have taken some pictures, I'm hoping someone knows what type of chickens these are? They were given to me and I have had them for about 2 months now one of them is acting like a rooster.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You have multiple roosters. I can't tell the breeds of the multi colored ones but the black/white striped are barred rocks. I also see one that is solid black - could be an Australorp. I also see a hen who looks brown but its hard to see in that pic. Could be some kind of production bird. The barred rocks, black australorp and brown ones are hens. The multi colored ones all look to be roosters.

3. gailmaison

gailmaison Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    FYI...there are lots of mixed breed chickens out there...even buying them from a breeder...'mutts' are not uncommon....

4. gailmaison

gailmaison Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    .and I agree...you have several roosters....one may be a little more into his testosterone than the others but they will figure out who's the boss....and it could involve some pretty violent, even deathly fights........that's one reason many of us but only guaranteed pullets......no bullies...at least not male ones... lol

5. psmith

Jul 6, 2012
    I'm only looking to find out what the colorful ones are? I know the barred and others. its the ones with the gold around their neck I'm concerned with. This is the one that is acting like a rooster.
    [​IMG]

6. psmith

Jul 6, 2012
    [​IMG]
    I'm new to this and don't know from looking at them if it is a hen or rooster.

7. portiaraylee

portiaraylee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    I would say those are Copper Marans....and they look like roosters to me. I could be wrong though. ;)

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    When they are all raised together, that is rarely the case. Fighting is most common when you try to introduce one mature rooster to another.

9. portiaraylee

portiaraylee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Winamac, IN
    Agreed about the roosters fighting. I introduce new mature roosters all the time and while it is rough at first, I keep them separate from the flock in a run attached to the main house. Eventually, they can be introduced into the main flock slowly without too much trouble.

10. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Copper Marans breed in with black sex link is my guess on those roosters,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by