What kind of chickens do I have?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TXTiffany, Dec 16, 2012.

1. TXTiffany

TXTiffany Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    I acquired 10 hens and 1 rooster a few months ago. I'm not sure about what breed they are. At first I didn't mind not knowing, but now I would like to know because I was hoping one or more hens would go broody. I don't know if the breed I have is or is not likely to go broody. Hoping someone here could help me out. Thanks!!
    [​IMG]
    Here is one hen by herself

[​IMG]
    This is the man of the house.

[​IMG]
    Another hen. Sorry about the lighting.

[​IMG]
    Here are a few of them together.

It was harder to get good pics then what I thought it would be. Thanks for any help in advance!

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

the rooster looks like a rhode island red, the red hen looks like a red sexlink, and the other hen looks like an easter egger or silver ameraucana.

3. TXTiffany

May 3, 2012
    I know the rhode island reds don't really get broody. What about the other ones do you know?

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    x2

5. salt and pepper

the ameraucanas go broody sometimes, but the red sexlinks usually don't. there have been instances when a sex link has hatched and cared for chicks really well.

6. TXTiffany

May 3, 2012
    Okay, thanks! It's nice to know. I guess I need to look into adding a few hens to the flock. I want one that will hatch her own eggs. Do you have any suggestions of a good type or breed that would be good to add for that reason?

7. ray24

ray24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
    Silkies are great mothers!! :)

8. salt and pepper

and cochins =)

9. TXTiffany

May 3, 2012
    Silkies, and Cochins got it! Would either of those be okay to breed with my Roo? Sorry I am just new to this whole thing.

10. ray24

ray24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
    They should be okay with your roo. Its okay everybody has to learn sometime! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by