What kind of chickens do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sdmorris, Mar 2, 2014.

1. sdmorris

sdmorris Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    Israel
    I have three chickens and I would love to know what breed they are. You should be able to click on the photos to get them full size.
    I got the white ones from a free-range farm when they "refreshed" their stock - saving them from being cat food. They give lovely large white eggs and are called Tweedledum and Tweedledee, because they follow each other (and me) around and I cannot tell them apart.
    The brown one, Sadie, is called here an Arab chicken, because they are common in the Arab villages. She lays medium sized brown eggs. She had a lovely black sister but a mongoose got into the coop - a few hours after I bought "parrot" netting to lay under the coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Leghorns, Brown and White Leghorns. The brown must be a mix breed (Brown Leghorn and something) to lay brown eggs.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    2 white leghorns
    brown leghorn crossed with something. Coloring is not quite right, wrong leg color and lays wrong color eggs. But has the body type of a leghorn. Weird that is is laying a brown egg since it has white earlobes, Might be part of the mixed heritage taking part

4. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    I agree on the 2 white leghorns. I can't get Ideal's website to pull up but under their brown egg layers they have a breed that has the white earlobes and lays brown eggs, I wish I could remember what its called. It might be a heritage breed?

5. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    Could the red one be a New Hampshire Red?

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    No, it is not a new hampshire red.

here is what a NHR looks like
    [​IMG]
    NHRs have yellow legs, bigger body, different coloring, and different ear lobe color

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by