What Kind of Chickens Hatch Out of Fertilized Brown Grocery Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkyWarrior, Sep 17, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I was noticing that we do get fertile eggs at the local natural food store. I was curious as to what kind of birds they would use. RIR? NH? Sex-links? All very curious. [​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They'd be the offspring of Sex-Links, in other words, they'll look like Sex-Link hens and Production Reds.

3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Since sex links don't breed true they have the Potential to look like any of the birds used to make the sex links or a combination of them. They are the true mystery eggs lol.

4. Lightfoote

Lightfoote Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    What birds they use may be a sort of "crapshoot" depending upon their source(s) of eggs.

As Illia indicated, Sex-Links or Production Reds are a fair bet, since even the natural, holistic, hippie type of people have enough brain cells to see the profit potential difference between a 3 egg/week laying hen and a 5 egg/week laying hen...That said, I doubt seriously that more than a small percentage of those eggs would be viable for hatching. Fertile eggs for eating (if properly cold-stored) have a "shelf life" of weeks, however eggs for hatching have a much more limited window, so unless those eggs made it into the market within less than 10 days of being laid, they would stand little chance of actually hatching, based upon my understanding...

There are always stories of eggs older than that hatching out healthy chicks, (after being exposed to inhospitable elements, etc...)but I would consider those anecdotal.

Lightfoote

5. redriver

redriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Northern California
  6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Actually you can call the distributor and ask them what their birds are.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I would expect about 30% hatch on most store eggs that are sold as fertile.
    Production reds if they come out solid red with a little black in them. Pretty much any other color if they are the mutt offspring of sexlinks.

8. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Back when I was contemplating joining the Trader Joe's hatching thread, I contacted Chino Valley Ranchers, the source for fertile brown eggs at my local Natural Food Market. They said (mostly) they use ISA Brown hens and cover them with lightweight white Leghorn-type roos because they are smaller and don't damage the girls as much as a heavier roo plus you can see the color difference between the roos and the hens at a distance.

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the reminder on how I can add a few Leghorns to my flock! Nice to know their are brown fertile eggs offered too. I was looking at a carton for the date--counting it on a calendar is the hard part!! [​IMG]

10. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Quote:Interesting!!! try it whatca got to loose.Let us know how it turns out.If they turn out like you want keep for eggs. If not winters comeing and soup or stew is always good...cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by