1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of chickens lay speckled eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedheadErin, Mar 10, 2012.

1. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    We have all kinds of white and brown and tan eggs, and the EE babies are coming next month. All I need are some speckled eggs, jsut for fun.

What kind of hen makes those?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Welsummers, Marans lay darker speckled eggs. Like cinnamon cookies with chocolate chips or bits.

Most any other brown egg layer will give you a chance of brown eggs with small speckles.

Any Marans, Penedesenca, or Welsummer cross will give guaranteed neat speckled eggs.

3. RedheadErin

Nov 30, 2011
    busily making a shopping list......[​IMG] Hubs is going to be SO MAD......

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    heck, I have gotten speckled eggs from one of my orpingtons, and my BLRW...but my marans lay pretty speckledy all the time (though mine are just hatchery birds...I hear that breeder quality have much darker egg color).

[​IMG]

This egg is either a first marans egg, or another lavender speckled egg from my BLRW Jasmine. I have found that feeding blackberries does this...my other BRLW Candi does not lay speckled eggs. I have found that when Candi gets lots of black berries, the speckles are under the brown, so are not really visible.

My marans girls lay speckled eggs pretty regularly (though some are solid colored). The speckles are usually pretty small though...you can see a couple of speckled eggs in this photo.

[​IMG]

5. RedheadErin

Nov 30, 2011
    What is blrw? ANd I love the lavender egg--it really looks like an easter egg!

6. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Here are some neat ones from my new-to-laying Welsummer.

Angela

[​IMG]

7. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    It's short for Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. This is what they look like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The speckles that time were kindof a fluke I think...Most of the time, their eggs are solid colored.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA

Actually the first two birds shown are Splash Laced Red [​IMG] The bottom one is blue, but appears to lack the mahogany gene to make red. Not to pick at details. [​IMG]

9. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yes, what illia said! Just like other blue breeds, not all turn out blue...unless you breed splash to black or something like that...I don't remember exactly how the color crossing works...Im sure someone will post it!

My girls are hatchery, so Jasmine (the blue bird at the bottom) is very brassy. Candi is the only one that got the deep red mahogany color...the other bird was pretty brassy too, but her lacing was a very light steel blue rather than white with splashes of blue like Candi has.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My welsummer eggs (white egg for comparison):
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by