What kind of chickens should we get?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by krv, Jun 14, 2008.

1. krv

krv Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Hi everyone,
    My computer keeps cutting me off the internet, so I have to make this as brief as I can. If you want more info., just ask and I will answer as soon as I can.

We already have a few chickens, some of which we are going to sell. And we want to get about 11 hens and 1 rooster for eggs and possibly to sell chicks. I thought about getting a few different breeds. Or getting a few different Plymouth Rocks. What do you think? What would be good ones to put together?

krv

2. krv

krv Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Hi again,
    I just want to correct something that I wrote. We want to get hens for eggs, not a rooster for eggs. The rooster would be so we could hatch chicks.
    krv

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I have several breeds listed below and they are a wonderful mix. We love the green/blue eggs from the Ameracuanas.

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's good cuz a rooster for eggs wouldn't work out well! [​IMG]

Any of the Plymouth Rocks are good. Just get a color YOU like. If you mix colors the chicks will be just that, mixed. They'll lay just as many if not more eggs but some people are weird about buying only purebreds even if those purebreds aren't show quality (most aren't[​IMG] ). Keep that in mind but I'd say go with a breed that you like and that excites you.

If you can check out http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

There
    are a whole lot of choices out there, have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by