What kind of chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Keksie, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Keksie

Keksie New Egg

Sep 9, 2012
    Three chickens flew into our property last month. We posted a note to find the owners but no luck. So we got a coop and now have those 3 at the same time a friend of my husband gave us 2 chickens. I thought the three were Welsumers but two of them are laying small white eggs. The other 2 which I think may be gold sex links are laying large brown eggs. I know who is laying because I have spent a lot of time watching who was in which nest box. So my question is what breeds of chickens do I have?
    [​IMG]
    The left one and the one forward are what I thought may be Welsumers and the one in back and the one on the right may be red sex links? If they are Welsumers why are they laying white eggs? Thank you for any help you can give.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Brown Leghorns are the ones that have the markings. The red ones are Red Sex Links :)

3. Keksie

Keksie New Egg

Sep 9, 2012
    Thank you.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Welsummers and brown leghorns look quite similar. Wellies have red earlobes and lay dark brown eggs, the leghorn (like yours) have white earlobes and lay white eggs. They might have started small but they work up to a nice large egg.
    Your other birds are red sex links.

5. Keksie

Keksie New Egg

Sep 9, 2012
    Thank you. I am glad to know the white eggs will get larger. They are really good.

6. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    What a surprising way to get a nice little flock! Lucky you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by