1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of chicks are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jessar1010, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Jessar1010

Jessar1010 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Mansfield, Ohio
    I have several chicks that I got from Meyer Hatchery are starting to feather out and I don't believe they are the breeds they said they were. I am posting some pictures if anybody would like to tell me what breeds they might be, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know in the first picture there is 1 roo but the rest are pullets. The breeds we were told we got were Jersey Giants (1st picture), Silver Laced Wyandottes (3rd and 4th picture), and Cuckoo Marans (2nd picture).

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The first are not Jersey Giants, they have brown on them. . I'd say they're partridge/pencilled Rocks.

The second and third pair are Silver Laced Wyandottes, but you've got a boy in there. It is the one on the right in both photos. . . That or a girl with very big comb and wattles.

The middle are Light Brahmas. Cuckoo Marans are barred, and don't have feathered legs (at least, hatchery quality ones do not)

3. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Pairs 1 and 3 are Silver Laced Wyandottes. Pair 2 are Light Brahmas. Your SLWs are hatchery quality so you will see a great degree of variance in coloration.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Pic 1 - ?
    Pic 2 - definitely Silver Laced Wyandottes
    Pic 3 - definitely Light Brahmas
    Pic 4 - definitely Silver Laced Wyandottes

5. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    I confirm the silver laced wyandottes. They will change a great deal as they grow, so don't be too discouraged at their current lacing. Give them time. (I'm not sure if you have a roo or not).
    Robert

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm always curious when folks ask "what kind of bird is this"? Where did you get them and what did the seller tell you? If posters said I got these at an auction or a swap they still should have some idea as to what they are. I'd also like to get feed back as to what sex they are after posting to ask. It's only fair to let the responders know who was correct or not. Maybe they were freebies from a hatchery?

I agree with Robert as to the breeds but don't think anyone can be sure of the sex til they get bigger.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In the initial post the OP indicated that they came from Meyer hatchery and were supposed to be: black Jersey giants, silver laced wyandottes, and cuckoo marans.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Sorry my glasses were foggy. [​IMG] Still some folks ask but never say what or where they got the chicks.

I still agree with Robert.

9. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I 2nd this

10. Jessar1010

Jessar1010 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Mansfield, Ohio
    They were all supposed to be pullets. I know I've got one roo for sure in the top pic. Those in the top pic were supposed to be Jersey Giants but I'm beginning to think they are BCM. They are colored alot like the BCMs I have already. Thanks for clarifying about hatchery quality SLW because I was thinking they sure don't look like they pics I've seen of SLWs. We'll see as they grow up. These will be the 1st SLW & light brahmas I've owned. Does anyone know how they are temperment wise? I've been really lucky so far & have really nice chickens that all get along really well & I have quite a variety of breeds. I bought these chicks when I went up to pick up feed one day. They were extras in their hatches & were mixed together in a big trough. It's hard to know 100% for sure what you're getting that way because alot of the chicks look alike.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by