what kind of chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by outdoor junkie, Apr 5, 2011.

1. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Picked these four little chicks up from a local feed store last week, have no idea what kind they are for sure, just wondering if anyone could offer up any ideas so I could put a breed with them. not the best pic and maybe a little too early to tell by photo. Thanks all.
    [​IMG]

2. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    Most feed stores carry sexlinks. Can't really tell from the pic, but its a good possibility.

3. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    What exactly is a sexlink? Sorry just don't know much about them yet.

4. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    Sex-links are cross-bred chickens whose color at hatching is differentiated by sex, thus making chick sexing an easier process. Sex-links come in many varieties, few of which are a true breed. As hybrids of laying or dual-purpose breeds infused with extra vigor via heterosis, sex-links can be extremely good egg-layers which often produce 300 eggs a year or more depending on the quality of care and feed.

Two common varieties are the Black sex-link (also called Black Stars) and the Red sex-link (also called Red Stars). Blacks are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a Barred Rock hen. Red sex-links are a cross between a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a White Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Rhode Island White or Delaware hen. One example of a red linked breed is the Red Shaver. In Europe, the Cream Legbar (an actual true-breeding pure breed) and ISA Brown sex-links also exist.

Courtesy of Wikipedia

I love Bing!!

5. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Thank you. I was told all of mine are hens, they were not straight run.

6. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Quote:x2 They look like sex links. [​IMG]

7. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    The black ones look like my black sex links. Dont know about the other ones though.

8. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    i was told the gold ones were great egg layers, and the black ones not so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by