What kind of comb IS this?! *Pic*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sparrow, May 18, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I'm posting a few pictures of my 2 1/2 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte chick, Greta. My other SLWyandotte baby(same age, same batch) has a very obvious tiny single comb. It's very narrow and has the distinct ridges like my other single-combed babies. But Greta's comb is completely flat and kind of unevenly bumpy. It is also at least twice as wide as the other chick's comb-space for lack of a better word. lol Anyway, is this a normal variation, or is she a bit odd? Never kept Wyandottes before so I'm terribly curious!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chamelle

Chamelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Springfield, OR
    A rose comb is normal for a Wyandotte. That's what your pullet has. She's a pretty baby! [​IMG]

Here's a pic of one of mine at around 6 or 7 weeks.

[​IMG]

3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    she has and is a rose comb breed. lol u were posting when i was typeing. they r all very beautiful babies!! [​IMG] i haven't raised that breed for a few years now, my only one with a rose comb now is a road island red pullet.
    silkie

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  4. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Ok, thank you for the info! Good to know she's normal! [​IMG] Chamelle , I hope my girls grow up as pretty as yours has!

So now I have to wonder...why does her "sister" have a single comb? Is she the oddball? :eek: I'm going to have to post a picture of that , too. Daphne, the other SLW, has the classic, very narrow and pointy single comb. Is it normal for them to start out looking like they have that type of comb and it later develops into a rose comb? I'm full of picky questions today.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Beautiful little girl and perfect. That is a rose comb and completely normal for a pullet. My little girl has it too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by