what kind of coturnix qauil?? pics

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Wyogirl, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    [​IMG]
    I have 3 yellow and 1 brown w/orange ??
    [​IMG]
    Thank you
    Ayda

2. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

the yellow ones will be white and the brown and yellow will be a tuxedo - which is a dark brown on top with a white mask and bib. Cute babies!

3. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Thank you. Am new to quails these are my first, and wow couldn't believe how small they were!!
    Ayda

4. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    X2

Just wanted to say u have some pretty babies there. I am new to them too. Got my first ones earlier this year. Was very suprised how fast they mature and begin laying. They r so tame and like a big goofball lol, I was so excited when I got my first egg. Im sure u will enjoy them as I have and still enjoy mine. Please keep us posted

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    What do you keep them in while they are grwoing???
    Ayda

6. JHorn91180

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    Well I started my 7 in a 15gal glass tank with a wire lid and heat lamp over them. Once they got feathered in some except for heads I moved them into a large plastic storage bin with a wire top and lamp but lamp was higher. Then once they were fully feathered out I moved them into a very large wire cage with no heat lamp, a solid bottom and wood sides about 10 inches up to keep them from kicking bedding everywhere and that's where they live today and have been laying for about 3 weeks now. The next generation is in the bator now. I started them on game bird starter/flight developer that has higher protein and works much better with quail then chick starter. They r still on it and have it available 24/7. They also have a feed cup of crushed oyster shell since they r laying now another cup of show-bird conditioner which is available 24/7 as well. They get 2 large romaine lettuce leaves and half a boiled chicken egg each day. Twice a day they get a handful of dried meal worms as a treat and water is changed daily so fresh water is always available. I still and have always used pine bedding which is changed once a week. Sometimes they get a strawberry or whatever else I think they might like as a treat. They seem happy and lay well. They also have a strip light over the cage with a timer so they have lots of light each day. I will b building stacked quail pens out doors soon as predator proof as possible when its warms up a bit more where they will b moved permanently. Those will be in a building with lights in winter to help protect them against the harsh cold weather here.

I hope this helps. I use to raise buttons and bob white quail along with peafowl, turkeys and pheasants. In my opinion and experience they don't do near as well or mature as fast and as uniformly on chick starter. Diet is very important for game fowl. Good luck and be sure to keep us updated. If u need any help or advice b sure to ask away. I want u to have a good experience with your new quail as I have had. These r my very first cots I have owned and bought them all at a day old.

7. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Yes I just made a brooder with a big plastic bin like one I saw on this forum, I cut a large rectangle on the lid put wire over it and will put them in tomorrow. What bedding do you use in the brooder?? I have pine shavings?
    Ayda

8. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually use shelf liner for the first few days and then switch to pine shavings or pine pellets, whatever I have handy. Some poeple don't like shavings because the birds tend to eat it sometimes, but I've never experienced this - especially if they are on the liner for the first fews days so they can learn to eat from the feeder first.

9. JHorn91180

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    I have always been an advocate of pine bedding. Its cheaper and less dusty then corn cob bedding, has a nice clean smell and u don't have poopy feet like u do with paper or liners. I start all my birds on bedding from day one and have never had an issue with them eating it personally. If u r worried about this its not a bad idea to start them on liners for the first few days, just don't use a slick surface like paper as they r learning to walk the first 24 hours and this can cause leg issues. Babies do sometimes peck at the bedding and I suppose its possible they might consume a small amount but if I have food ready and available as soon as they go in mine always go for it. Natural pine or aspen only tho as cedar can and will cause respiratory issues in birds and most small animals.

10. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Thank you for your input, very much appreciate it.
    I still can't believe how fast they grow!!!!!!
    I will be moving them out to their mobile LOL temporary home and have a big rabbit hutch for outdoors as soon as they are ready, and speaking of that when can you put them out????
    Live in WY and it does get chilly in the evenings, and of course we can get snow without any warning[​IMG].
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by