what kind of creepy crawlies...[NOW I HAVE PICS!!!!]

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by my4ladies, Jul 13, 2011.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I need help figuring out what it was that I saw this morning in the nesting box. I'll apologize in advance bc I didn't get a picture...but I'll try to describe them as best as I can. This morning, I reached in to grab the egg that was in the nesting box (from either the evening before...daughter must not've checked box when she closed them in for the night, or really early this morning). I noticed it had a lot of poop on it. We get some dirty eggies from time to time, but this one had squooshy-looking poop stuck right to the side of it. So, I pick it up, and notice that kind of nestled in/on the poop was a group of tiny things wiggling around. At first, I thought they were baby spiders...it's exactly what they looked like actually. Like when a spider sac o' eggs hatches and you see the teensy tiny little buggers. These were even smaller than any baby spiders I've seen. They were tannish/golden in color and were teensy teensy...I mean, so small I couldn't even tell if they had legs, and I have excellent near vision. I watched them for a while (still thinking they were spiders...didn't occur to me that they could be mites or baby lice til later). They stayed in a group...hundreds of them, but all together the group was about the size of a pea (although it didn't bulge out or anything...so, a flat pea). They were moving around, the ones on the outside were moving the most...but not leaving the group. The thing is, our 3 birds don't have lice or mites. I checked and double checked and then tonight went out with a flashlight and triple checked. Nothing. And even though I had a hard time looking for legs, I want to say that I did see them...but definitley too small to count. They weren't wormy looking either...they appeared to be walking opposed to squirming.

Please someone tell me that they know what these little buggers are. I just want to know if they are at all a threat to the chickens or us. ie mites, ticks, lice, etc.

ADDED PICTURES!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Like I said, they are super super tiny. The toothpick in the one helps show the scale of the litlle buggers. Both times I've seen them now, they were on nasty squooshy poop, dark brown color...if that's at all indicative of anything??? Maybe they are not parasitic or any threat at all to the chickens. Maybe they're just some kind of decomposers. That's what I'm hoping anyway. They didn't stray from the glob of poop at all...so they must like it. Oh also....I thought this was important. I noticed that they are not all the same size. It's hard to tell in the pic, but some are definitely different in size. I'm thinking that maybe they are adult somethings...some different ages than others...opposed to what I thought before (that they are just hatched babies of some kind).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. my4ladies

Jul 4, 2010
    bumping this up [​IMG] I'm really hoping someone knows.

3. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Could they be ticks? I've disturbed a nest of them in my garden once and they are very very small when they first hatch.

4. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

Some kind of maggot larvae?

5. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Oh gosh that's a big ewwww! [​IMG] i hope you find out. How about googling what's this bug? I use these sites a lot good luck!

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I don't know, can you get a good look with a magnifier?

7. my4ladies

Jul 4, 2010
    Thanks everyone, for the ideas!! I squashed them all, so no getting a closer look with the magnifying glass. I'm more interested in knowing now what they were than I was when I first saw them. I'm kicking myself now. I'll try the site out "what's this bug". I'm not sure about the maggot idea...they seemed to be crawling like they had legs, but they were just too small to see the actually legs. However, I've never seen freshly hatched fly eggs either. And I hadn't even thought of the tick idea. Off to google!!! Thanks again!

8. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I say seed ticks.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If you squashed them all they are not ticks. You don't just mash a tick and go on your way.

10. ChickenLord

ChickenLord Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Could be something similar to chiggers or mites. They're tiny like that and may be black or red...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by