what kind of duck am I?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sunflowerlady, Feb 25, 2012.

1. sunflowerlady

sunflowerlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    I am not sure what breed the black one is. I have another one but was hiding at picture time. They both have beautiful green/blue sheen on their wings and the most gorgeous purple sheen on their head. I was told when I bought them that they were Muscovy. Well I know that they can't be full Muscovy. I have some white ones(can see in background). They just don't look the same. But the black ones do hiss like the Muscovy. I'm so confused. I have seen one of the black mate anything he can! And just this evening I confirmed he was a he as I saw his male parts as he demounted the hen. The other black one who has orange feet and more brown on her chest is sitting on a new nest tonight for the first time. So I assume she's a hen as I've not heard of males sitting on eggs.

I'd love to know what these beauties are if anyone can help.
    Thanks

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/view...01784/5713197986871579825/5713199625583903458

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Yes, they are Muscovies. Males and females look vastly different in the facial region. Muscovies also can't not be pure, (they are not a breed of duck; they are a species) because technically they are not even a true duck (they are a Shelduck -- a tribe of small tropical geese), and cannot naturall cross with any other ducks (all others are breeds of mallard). The behaviour sounds correct for Scovy, too. Have fun with your new Scobies!

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Huh, I didn't see any ducks in that link.

4. sunflowerlady

Jan 11, 2012

Really?? Did you see anything or did it give you an error? I only ask because I've never posted links here and I didn't know if I did something wrong.

5. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

It comes up to a 'sign in to Picassa' page. When I signed in using my gmail, it just gave me options to create my own albums. Didn't show any pics by you.

6. sunflowerlady

Jan 11, 2012
    Oh, I've tried to do that but it tells me there was an error. Might have something to do with the fact that I am using my android smartphone as that's my only internet. What a bummer:(

7. sunflowerlady

Jan 11, 2012
  8. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Looks like my Cayugas. Cute duck!

9. sunflowerlady

Jan 11, 2012

Thanks! And I've seen pictures of cayugas and thought they really look a lot like them. Do they make a hissing sound or more of a quack?

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    To me, he looks like a mule, a Muscovy/mallard (or Cayuga) cross when you look at his bill and his feet. Muscovies hiss and cayuga drakes do the raspy quack, but I think a mule can go either way.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by