1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of duck is Bibby? (pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckville denizen, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Duckville denizen

Duckville denizen Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    This beautiful little duck is Bibby, one of our babies who hatched on the creek last December (despite the fact that I passed the mother's nest each day and told her it was too cold for eggs to hatch!) The mother is a Pekin, and the only drakes on our end of the creek at the time were a small, mallard looking drake, who I have since come to suspect was a gray call, and a small black drake, who also might have some call, since all the ducks are inbred here. The only other hatchling to survive looks like a gray call female. Both Bibby and Mally have the quack of a call duck (extremely loud and raucous.) I am wondering if she is a bibbed call duck and would like to know what others out there think.

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

She looks like a black swedish. Do you have any of those around there?

3. Duckville denizen

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    No, we don't. After I had posted my pics, I realized she did look like a black Swedish, but she and her hatchling mate both have the call duck quack. You can literally hear them from one end of the creek to the other. Are Swedish ducks smaller than Pekins? She is definitely much smaller than most of the other creek ducks.

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Bibby is a Black Swedish duck.

5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Yes they are smaller than a pekin. And the characteristics of a black swedish is the white bib and a couple white feathers on the wings. I have one and she can be quite loud when she wants and looks exactly like your Bibby.

6. NajmoNests

NajmoNests Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    E. Central, MN
    If her mother was a Pekin, then she is half pekin & possibly a call drake. [​IMG]

7. Duckville denizen

May 17, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Well, as I said, we are never really sure what kinds of mix we are going to have here on the creek, but in the almost six years we have been living here, we have not had any Swedish ducks. Bibby's mother is a white duck with one lone feather draping down from the top of her head (hence, the name "Plume") We have just assumed she was Pekin, since she has the coloration and configuration of a Pekin. The father had to have been either the black drake or the Mallard-looking drake who arrived here with a group of six "drop offs" about four years ago. In the group that he came with was a small buff-colored call female, three larger black and white ducks (I am holding one of them in my profile pic) and the two drakes who looked like mallards, but were smaller. There must have been some Swedish mix somewhere in there. Anyway, she is an absolutely beautiful girl and will come to be hand-fed when I call her name.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by