what kind of duck is this

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Raquel1, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Raquel1

Raquel1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2015
    [​IMG]
    ok, this duck came with a goose, roman tufted I believe, who is quite protective of this duck. The lady who gave the two to me told me she was told it was a Pekin, but it's not white. So, what do you suppose this creature is, and does anyone have an inkling if it's male or female? I suppose I will find out come spring when the eggs come, if they come...I don't know the proper terms when it comes to these birds, have only dealt with chickens until now. I honestly don't care what this creature is, just kind of curious. The goose is now all white, it lost the grey on the back and has the helmet on top of the head, hates my husband too, lol.

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Sort of looks like a Buff.
    How old, I don't see a drake curl, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Does it quack?

3. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    It looks like a buff orpington to me, and I would guess female - but without hearing it quack it is hard to say. Male ducks will get a curl on their tail after they are 4-5 months old, and their voices sound like a whispering toad. Females will have a loud QUACK! or a honking noise, they are generally louder than a drake.

4. Raquel1

Aug 13, 2015
    It quacks all the time running around with the goose in the morning. heaven forbid the goose/gander leave! They both run around flapping their wings quacking and whatever noise a goose makes, it's quite a scene here, lol. They are well over 6 months old now. Any clue has to the sex of the goose, here's a a couple pics. And this bird kind of whipers with it's neck stretched out, but it can honk quite loud when they start running around.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  5. jducour

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
  6. Raquel1

Aug 13, 2015
    sounds to me like it's female, the goose I can't figure out. Thanks for the link.

7. terri2098

terri2098 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2015
    Does anyone know what this little guy is? He is the leader of my Pekins (3) and is always going after my lone Muscovy drake. [​IMG]

8. jducour

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah

That is a khaki campbell. What a cutie!

9. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Definitely a buff duck. Looks just like my buff, Biff :) [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    I agree it's a Buff Orpington duck. The head and neck are a little dark for a duck, but the bill color says it's a duck, and the plumage leans that way as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by