1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of duck is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MsMcChick, Feb 27, 2008.

1. MsMcChick

MsMcChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I have what came from the mix of Welsh Harlequin hen and a Pekin drake...looks like a Blue Swedish only black. It reminds me of a ....? Can't seem to come up with it. BUt it looks like a blue swede, white bib, white 2 first main wing feathers, and is bigger than the WH an smaller than the pekin. I own no other ducks and we don't have fly in visitors of the ducky persuasion. He's about a year old now and i have no way to post or email pictures at this time [​IMG]

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    If you have a digital camera, you can host at Imageshack.

Just to take a wild guess, have you compared it to pictures of Cayugas?

3. MsMcChick

Oct 3, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I can't post/host pictures, it's not allowed at work, [​IMG] we aren't allowed to upload anything or download much either for that matter. As compared to a cayouga, nope. Looks just like a blue swedish, only the blue is black. Exact match except color. I actually saw a black in a batch of blues online..just can't remember the website [​IMG]

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If it came from crossing a Welsh Harlequin and a Pekin then it's a Harlequin/Pekin cross. It does not somehow magically become another breed. It's a cross breed, period.

5. MsMcChick

Oct 3, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Well geeze, i know that, LOL [​IMG] But some of the breeds are a cross of others, like the Khaki Cambell (runner, mallard, & rouen), or the Cayouga (BEI, wild black duck & rouen). I wondered if i'd done something like that and didn't realize the cross.
    It looks just like the picture on http://www.featherside.com/Poultry/Ducks/BRKSlick.html

Believe
    me, i understand there is NO magic at my farm, LOL! [​IMG]

6. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I don't know how it happened, but it sounds like a swede to me. I have owned this breed off and on for many years, and breedings throw about 25% black Swedish ducklings. I now have a blue female and a black male. If you go to the Holderreads site-holderreadfarm.com they have the genetic explanation Good Luck!
    Chris F in Maine

7. MsMcChick

Oct 3, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
  8. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    it looks like a black sweedish

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks like a black swedish to me.[​IMG]

10. MsMcChick

Oct 3, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Thanks, i thought that myself! Just wondered if i was losing my mind [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by