What kind of duck is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hw4cricket, Nov 29, 2010.

1. hw4cricket

hw4cricket New Egg

May 6, 2010
    This morning we had a duck in our chicken coop. It is able to leave at anytime but seems to want to stay. I can't seem to find out what kind of duck it is. It is very tame but not friendly enough to come close to me. I have these pictures of it. The spots on its back are chicken droppings. The duck seems to be comfortable laying under the chicken roost.

[​IMG]

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    it looks like a mallard crossed with a pintail or maybe its just a pintail because i dont think a pintail and a mallard can cross so i say pintail

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Awe it must be lonely so it came for some buddies. I am not sure so I am bumping so some duck savy folk can help.

4. hw4cricket

hw4cricket New Egg

May 6, 2010
    We live in Florida fairly close to Jacksonville and the pin tail is not very common here. The legs are orange yellow in color and the beak is yellow with black spots. It is a heavy built duck, not slender like the pin tail is either. The ring around the neck it bright white and there is a green sheen on th feathers along its back and wings. The head is dark brown and the chest is dark brown with slight specks. It is larger than most mallards that I have ever seen.

5. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    It has to be a mix of some sort this one has me stumped

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Looks to be a mutt of some sort. Something crossed with a wild mallard?

7. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    OK it's definitely a mix. We've seen several mixed ducks throughout our years hunting... My guess is Gadwall crossed with ???? Husband's guess is Gadwall crossed with Mottled Duck or Mottled duck x Mule duck?? But most probably a wild x domestic duck.

8. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    That is not a pintail. Mallards and pintails can breed together, but they don't look like that! I would say mallard mixed with a larger barnyard breed if it's bigger than a mallard.

9. hw4cricket

hw4cricket New Egg

May 6, 2010
    Regardless of the type of duck it is, it seems to have made itself right at home. I went out this morning and placed a small pool in the coop so it could swim and that made it very happy. I went out this evening and couldnt find the duck. I took a flashlight and searched the coop. The duck was up on the flat surface perch with several of the chickens. Will the chicken droppings cause any problems for this duck? My husband was able to reach in and pet the duck. I guess we need to come up with a name. Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by