What kind of ducklings are these?

Imthe1whoquacks

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2016
West Virginia
Picked two ducklings up at Tractor Supply this morning and am curious as to what they are. Any help is appreciated.

Are they black or brown? The grey background and lighting are confusing me. They look a little too dark to be KC. KC are kind of a yellowish brown. If they are black they could be Cayuga. How old are they? I think they have the color of a chocolate Runner. If they are still young they might not have the runner stance yet.

Whatever the case they are supper cute!

Are they black or brown? The grey background and lighting are confusing me. They look a little too dark to be KC. KC are kind of a yellowish brown. If they are black they could be Cayuga. How old are they? I think they have the color of a chocolate Runner. If they are still young they might not have the runner stance yet.

Upon second inspection, I do agree with you. Maybe I made my guess to quickly, because they remind me more of my Cayugas at that age.

-Alex

Last edited:

They are definitely black. I'd assume they are very young. Tractor Supply had only gotten the shipment that morning and opened about an hour prior and there were only four of these little guys left when I got there.

It seems that Cayugas and chocolate Runners look similar :/ guess time will tell. Either way they ARE super cute and I will give them lots of love no matter what.

If they are black then that rules out chocolate Runner; they would be dark brown. They could be Cayuga. Cayuga can sometimes be a little lighter on the chest. They could also be black Runners. I don't know much about Runners so I don't know when they start getting that distinctive Runner stance.

Do you know which hatchery the store got them from? Sometimes knowing that will help you narrow it down.

The store doesn't know. I asked. They were mixed in with all sorts of others including peking and mallards so it looked like the store just got a hodgepodge. I've never had runners of any kind or cayugas so I'll be happy with either.

Back
Top Bottom