1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what kind of ducklings are these?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by promomma, Apr 14, 2016.

1. promomma

promomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    hello, I went to tsc and picked from their assortment. I pocked what I thought were khaki Campbell's but I am starting to think they could be welsh or rounen. Please let me know what you guys think. I am raising as pets for eggs so I really wanted khaki Campbell's for their egg laying abilities. also I know one in the background is a magpie. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    They look too light to be KC and WH don't normally have an eye stripe. Definitely don't look like Rouen. They kind of look like Silver Appleyard ducklings to me.

Also, if you are referring to the black duck with yellow belly in the background, I don't think that's not a Magpie. Looks like a Black Swedish. Though it's hard to tell.

3. promomma

Mar 28, 2016
    aww,the black one might be. but black swedish seem to lay eell and have a good temperment, so either way i am fine.however silver appleyard seem a like their chick are more yellow than my gals. give 5 mins for better pics

4. promomma

Mar 28, 2016
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. promomma

Mar 28, 2016
    that's one but the looks the same just a little darker.

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Hmmm, looks like it could be a toss up between silver appleyards and welsh harlequins

Harlequins are good layers and calm ducks.
    I know nothing about the silver appleyards

Do you know what hatchery TSC got these guys from? If not, give them a call and ask which hatchery this weeks batch arrived from then look up the hatchery to see what they sell.

7. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yes, you're right about the color. I guess I was going more by the shape of the dark mark on their heads. Now I can see their legs are black too. Neither the Appleyards nor the WH are supposed to have black feet. They could be mixed, but I don't think that is very common when they come from a hatchery. They may just be poorly marked examples of whatever breed they are. Now I just don't know. Can you find out which hatchery they came from? Maybe that will help narrow it down.

I will say my WH are wonderful egg layers; this is their first egg laying season and they are laying an egg a day each. I think they go about three weeks before taking a day off. Appleyards are also supposed to be great layers.

8. promomma

Mar 28, 2016
    okay he said hoover out of Iowa so I am going to look and see if that narrows it down.

9. promomma

Mar 28, 2016
    looks like it's black swedish and wh. they don't have appleyards. I put one back thinking it was a rounen but now I know it was the khaki campbell I wanted, ugh. thinking about going back for her. at least I hope they are mostly girls,lol

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  10. promomma

Mar 28, 2016
    idk the darker one has a spotted dark bill, and the lighter on has the brown bill with a light spot on the end. I guess I'll find out the sex later on.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by