1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what kind of ducks are these? I NEED TO KNOW!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 23, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Im so worried that my "Rouen" hen is actually a mallard and that im gonna need to get rid of her. So PLEASE is she a mallard, or a rouen?

[​IMG]

And what about my drake? I wouldnt mind if hes a mallard, I dont like him anyway, but I need to make sure.

[​IMG]

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Rouens. They're too heavy bodied to be mallards. Doesn't mean they can't fly if they are determined to do so. Most likely they can't.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Why do you think they are mallards? If they were bought fom a hatchery they wouldn't have mixed up the breed on you.

4. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:They werent bought at a hatchery. These are from a local feed store. And they had a duckling assortment, so I wasnt sure what they were. Now the other mallard looking ducks I have are rouens for sure. BTW I ordered two sexed female rouens from metzer, and endered up with a pair.. Huff.....

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    They r pretty if that helps. Lol but yes I would say they r rouens.

6. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok, thats good. I cant have mallards here because if I do they will fly away with all the rest of the mallards that fly over my place. I had a half rouen half mallard that was crested and he could kinda fly with clipped wings.

8. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    you could make a run to prevent them from flying away? but these wont they are too big...tractor supply quality rouens

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Yeah, they cant fly, at all. Im glad they cant.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Purebred Mallards are very small. They are in the Bantam class of ducks. Males 40 ounces, females 36 ounces.

Rouens are in the heavy class. Males 10 pounds, females 9 pounds. Also Rouens are shaped like a big feathered box with feet at the bottom and very little leg showing.

I don't know what that is that the hatcheries are selling as Rouens, but they aren't Rouens. Some sort of large gray colored mutt, I think.

Anyway, unless your ducks are tiny, they aren't mallards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by