what kind of ducks do I have? help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kerr, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Kerr

Kerr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    ontario
    Morning everyone [​IMG]

can someone tell me or give me some input on what kind of ducks I have?

The black one is black with a hint of shiny green - black feet

The Olive green one has a longer slender neck than the others and an olive green bill..?

The white/creamy coloured ones have orange feet

I've had them since they were little fluff balls - I'm guessing they are about 15 weeks old now ...

I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind they are and if they will lay eggs....

If they lay eggs what age do they start - 5 months as well like chickens?

Thanks guys....
    Kerri

[​IMG]

2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

It's kind of hard to tell until they get thier first feathers -and sometimes you have to wait until their "true" feathers come in. If they're still this fuzzy they're much younger than 15 weeks -probably more like 4-8 weeks.

The dark one could be a Black East Indie, or a Cayuga, or maybe just a "chocolate" Runner.

Others could be Orpington, Saxony, Buff, or more likely a mix.

They all may be Runners (or have some Runner blood in them), which come in many colors.

And of course they could be farm ducks (that is, mixed breed). Where did you get them?

All female ducks will lay eggs, but some breeds are more productive than others. And yes, they will start laying (and mating and getting adult feathers) anywhere from 4-6 months.

Hoped that helped a bit. Thanks for the cute pic! [​IMG]

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The black one looks like a Cayuga.

None of them look at all like Runners though in their frame.

It's hard to tell with ducks until they start feathering up more.

4. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    I think the second to last multi-colored guy could be a little fawn and white runner. His face sure looks like it--does he stand up tall?

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Don't know anything much about ducks, but do know that you have the cute kind [​IMG]

Nice pics - I love the way they are waddling after each other. Reminds me of watching the line leader in the 2 yr old preschool room...

Susan

6. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    The first one looks like my Cayuga's. The others I don't know, sorry, I don't have any that looked like that. As for laying... this is what I have been told and learned... some will lay the same year you got them so long as they where hatched in early spring. Otherwise, they wont lay until next spring. Others wait til the spring after they are hatched, it just all depends on the breed. I hope I am making since. Not all ducks will lay at the 4-6 month time period. If you look up some of my duck questions you can get information there. I hope I have helped even if just a little. [​IMG]

7. Kerr

Kerr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    ontario
    Ok thanks very much everyone!
    A guy who doesn't speak english very well (at all really) sold them to me....
    DH and I were at the Auction and I felt bad cuz "people" were buying them to eat them....

They were too cute to leave em'.......

Heres better photos

This is "BEAKER" - named for his deformed bill - the auction guy didn't want to give him to me cuz he looks funny - SO I GRABBED HIM [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Olive green bill duck is the one that has a longer neck and carries it much higher than the others
    [​IMG]

I still have no clue yet if they are female vs male
    I'm sure I'll find out thou!

Thanks everyone for your help

8. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They should be coming into their nuptial plumage soon. So, anything with a green head will be male.

9. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

The olive-green-billed duck looks to have some Runner in it, judging by the shape of the bill and neck; the others look a bit like Mallards, Snowy Mallards, Silver Appleyards, or maybe fawn-colored somethings; and the black one still looks mostly like a Cayuga. Whether they're mutts or not, they're still lovely ducks.

They look thrilled with their new grassy digs, congrats! [​IMG]

10. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    That female is too dark and too small to be an Appleyard, even in eclipse plumage they don't get that dark. Just their breasts get spotty instead of silver.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by