What kind of ducks do I have

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taunya1979, Apr 18, 2017.

1. taunya1979

taunya1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

I just got these two cuties at a local farm and they don't know exactly what kind probably a mix between Peking and something runner also when do they get their adults feathers so they can go for a swim?

2. taunya1979

Jun 7, 2016
    They are about a month old

3. pomnovice

pomnovice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    The one on the right definitely is a Runner crossbreed! But, they both have two lines on their eyes, which is distinctive of Rouen ducklings. They can go for a swim at anytime if they are properly dried, but their feathers become waterproof anywhere from six to eight weeks.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    THey don't need adult feathers to be able to swim. Let them swim now.

5. taunya1979

Jun 7, 2016
    Oh I was told which I thought was weird that since they were incubated rather than mama laying on them that they don't have the oils to protect them.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The white lines on the eyes look like Appleyard Ducklings.....I raise them..:)......Look like my Ducklings..:)

Cheers!

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Swimming stimulates the oil glad to work..;).....I swim all my Ducklings at 2 days old..:)

Cheers!

8. taunya1979

Jun 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

Here's a better pic of them and yay thank you guys I'll get them a pool tomorrow :) they are still afraid of me n the fam but love the chickens. They will let me about 2/3 feet from them then they're like nope quack quack Were out lol. Still working on getting them to let me touch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by