1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what kind of ducks do you have?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by petchickenlover, Apr 11, 2011.

1. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    I'm looking into getting some day-old ducks to raise&sell. What breeds should i get?Which ones do you think are the smartest? The prettiest? etc,etc.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    We have Rouens and Mallards and LOVE them. They all have amazing personalities.....all 4 females lay everyday for the last month. The drake, a Rouen, is amazing. He is hilarious.....Mr. tough Guy...until you look at him funny....then he's like...."Never mind..."

We are getting a Pekin and a Welsh Harlequin as well (hens).....it'll be interesting

3. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    I have Pekins.... I LOVE them!!! They are so awesome. I 100% Recommend them! [​IMG]

4. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] I was looking at the harlequins&pekins, they're pretty little things..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  5. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    Quote:Kind the kids can't see!! If they do, it's not good on the selling part. [​IMG]

6. petchickenlover

Sep 9, 2008
    Quote:Kind the kids can't see!! If they do, it's not good on the selling part. [​IMG]

lol..yep thats true.

7. happydog

happydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    I loved the look of fawn and white Indian Runners. They looked so cute running back and forth as if they were late for a meeting. But now it occurs to me that they kind of look like they're wearing straitjackets and I guess the novelty has worn off. I'm fickle I guess. [​IMG] They aren't that friendly either. But I'll probably still keep a half dozen roaming around free.

If you can get to a bookstore take a look at the duck chapter in Carol Deppe's book, The Resilient Gardener. She makes a very good case for Ancona ducks. I just ordered 60 Ancona ducklings.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  8. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have 3 runners and they are friendly little comedians.
    I hope to be adding a black male runner soon and need to decide if his traveling friend will be a blue runner girl or a pekin girl.. or maybe both, but that brings us to 6 ducks that I'd have to build a new house for instead of 5 to make room for.

9. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    We have 2 females of the following: Welsh Harlequins, Blue Swedish, Cayuga, and Rouen(unsexed so far).

10. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    We have a Crested drake, Pekin hen, 3 Harliquin tween hens, 1 Harliquin tween drake (you can see pics of them under the Welsh Harlequin post), and one recently rescued Mallard hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by