what kind of ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by monkey, Jan 20, 2010.

1. monkey

monkey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    any ideas on what duck breed should I get? I want friendly ducks that lay eggs, and I was thinking about a few female khaki campbells and maybe a mallard drake just because they look cool, do you think this is a good choice?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Pekin ducks are GREAT egg layers. We have one girl, and she will lay everyday or just about everyday. We also had a Rouen with good egg producing as well.

3. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    indian runners and khaki campbells. hatching your own will guarantee friendliness...
    I am having so much fun with mine at the moment.

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    khaki campells are a great choice [​IMG]

5. crazybarnlady

crazybarnlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2010
    langley, BC, Canada
    runners and campbells all the way!

6. monkey

monkey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    are mallards friendly? they're the only ducks you can buy that also live in the wild, and I was thinking of getting a drake just because I like the way they look, but since it wouldn't lay eggs it have to be a pet.

7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Before you get a mallard, make sure you check state laws. Some require a permit for you to keep them. If they do, you could always get a rouen, they look a lot the same but are bigger. Also keep in mind that most places sell waterfowl as straight run unless you get one that is already started.

8. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive only ever had one mallard drake and i wont ever have mallards again. He was very rough on my girls, i thought he would dislocate their wings! Good luck though!

9. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    For good egg production, you want to go with Anconas, Campbells, Harlequins, Hookbills, Magpies, or Indian Runners (according to Holderread's website!)

I LOVE my Hookbills, and Harlequins are increasingly popular lately; in fact, if you like the look of a mallard, Harlequin drakes look very mallard-esque. They're very pretty birds - everyone here on BYC who has them is very happy with them. They were developed from a color mutation in a Campbell, and lay just as well as any Campbell can.

I don't have any Welsh Harlequins myself, but based on what you've said you're looking for, they'd be my vote for you!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  10. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Indian Runners and they lay over 300eggs / year......

They are the funniest, comical ducks ever......Makes them my duck of choice!

Sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by