What kind of fence?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Mar 16, 2012.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    My chickens free range a little too freely. I want to build a fence. I'm feeling really overwhelmed with the options. I was thinking of building an enclosed run, so that I wouldn't have to lock them up every night, but I don't think I can afford to build one as large as I would like. So I'm thinking a fence would be better, and I'll close them up in the coop in the evening.

Any ideas for poultry fencing? We have a lot of wood laying around, and hardware cloth. I've also looked at electric fencing, which seems like it might be a good option, but is it safe to have around kids?

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Electric is safe around kids in my opinion. It only bites for a second lol!

I would look into electric poultry netting myself but if you have hardware cloth and lumber just build something. I used T post and chicken wire last year and it kept them in (for the most part).

I moved them to the barn this year and they have their own stall with a pop door. They range my lil 4 acres and find their way to the barn every night, all 51 of them.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Unless you use electric NET, it won't keep chickens in

I'd just use welded wire for the run itself, and if you have a big predator problem, run a few electric wires around that

4. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    If it is just to contain the chickens you can use chicken wire.

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure that electric fencing is an effective chicken container. I've seen mine leaning against it. If you do decide to go with electric, make sure you get a pulsed charger, not a weed burner.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: The visible netting keeps them in
    The electrcity is to keep predators out

1 person likes this.
  7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I have the electric poultry netting from Premier. I'll tell you what, if a chicken gets up against this fence, it's VERY obvious they feel it. They are not too quick to get lean on it again.
    Jack

8. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Thanks for all the input. I'm rethinking electric in favor of building a covered run. Yesterday morning I walked outside, and 2 of my hens were on the roof of the house. My house is 3 stories. I have no idea how they got up there. They must have used a tree, but apparently, they can fly even higher than I realized. Plus, I was visiting a friend with a new chicken run, and they had a nice simple design I think I can imitate using existing scrap wood.

9. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm giving 3:1 that their wings aren't clipped?

10. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Quote: They are definitely not clipped [​IMG] It's like having a living weather vane.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by