what kind of fencing do I use?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by foxcaruso, Jan 6, 2014.

1. foxcaruso

foxcaruso New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    Hi folks, I am completing the interior of my coop this winter to be ready for the spring chicks. The coop I build is pretty big as far as I am told and has an inclusive run. the inside space is 8 x 6 and the outside space is 8 x 5. they both are covered with he same roof (think of a covered front porch).

The birds will be able to go in at night and the chicken door will close but I wan them to be able to come out when every they want and be secure. I basically want to build a "screen in porch" for them and am not sure what kind of fencing to use. I saw tractor supply has welded wire and field fencing in rolls but am not sure what the major difference is other that the way the wires are connected. I am also not sure if that is too much fence.

thanks for any help!

Mark

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Only 1/2 inch hardware cloth is predator-proof. Welded wire fencing is fine as long as you aren't depending on it being predator-proof.

Rats and weasels can get through all but the HW cloth, and they do kill chickens.

My run isn't predator-proof, but my coop is.

Apron out on top of the ground or bury some fencing alongside your walls of your run to prevent diggers if desired. Google hardware cloth apron if needed.

You can use welded wire fencing for the run and line the bottom vertical part with hardware cloth to prevent owls and hawks from pulling chickens through the fencing. Hey it happened to me.

Chicken wire won't keep out any predators...will only keep chickens out of a garden or something like that. Raccoons and dogs can tear through it instantly.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  3. Ruthster55

Ruthster55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Will welded wire fencing buried 6 inches deep keep dogs out?

There is a considerable dog problem where I am located, but relatively few aerial predators and not too many raccoons, skunks, weasels, or foxes. Rats and mice are around but dogs tend to keep them down.

Thx.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

No. I had a dog dig through 6 more than inches down.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/346256/how-deep-to-bury-the-wire
    see especially post #4

Aproning is easier than burying. You can bury it a little when aproning. You want to go out 18 inches or so according to what I have read on here- but search yourself also as I have not done aproning.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/geekgurls-chicken-coop

here is one example- the grass will grow up through it too or you can cover it with rocks

5. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Mark:
    It sounds like you're building something similar to my latest coop. I used 1/2 x 1/2 inch hardware cloth flared out 18 to 24 inches at the ground. Since this photo was taken, I have completed a twin 4ft x 8ft run (plus space beneath coop) on the right side.

[​IMG]

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto! That second link is an excellent example of an apron installation...but remember to get the corners.

Fending I meant Fencing is out of scale on corners, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. foxcaruso

foxcaruso New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    Thanks. this is good info. could you bury the apron? I was considering using coated panels for the bottom anyway.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes you could bury it, can be hard work to do so.
    If it want it off the surface burying it will not take away from it's effectiveness, but you want them to hit it as soon as possible so they go away soonest.

1 person likes this.
  9. foxcaruso

foxcaruso New Egg

Dec 12, 2013
    thanks, I am impressed at the helpfulness and courtesy of everyone on this site.

10. Ruthster55

Ruthster55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    This is very useful info for me - much appreciated!! Appreciate the diagram and answer before I go to the hardware store!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by