What kind of food now

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KittyKisska, Sep 18, 2016.

1. KittyKisska

KittyKisska Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    I have 36 Red Rhode Island hens that are about five months old today was their first two eggs but I don't know what kind of food I should start giving them I would love some help if anyone could give me tips

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There are a few options - just a matter of what you want to do for your flock. The first option would be to continue feeding whatever starter/grower/maintenance feed you have been giving them up to now and start offering free choice oyster shell in a separate container so that they can use that to control their calcium intake as each individual bird's body dictates (those that are actively laying will take it, those who are not will not). This approach is fabulous for flocks that are mixed either by age, gender or laying status and is the one I choose to use....another advantage is that the rations listed above tend to be a little higher in protein content than layer ration and I prefer that in my feed program.
    Another option is to transition to a layer ration. Layer ration is enriched with extra calcium in comparison with the aforementioned feed types and, as such, *should* meet the minimum nutritional needs of an actively laying bird. Many who feed layer still opt to offer oyster shell because the minimum levels offered in layer ration may not be sufficient for particular individual birds and, again, they take it as needed/leave it when not so there is really no harm whatsoever to be had in providing it. Generally speaking, you don't want to give layer until at least 18 weeks of age or when the majority of birds in the flock are actively laying - the excess calcium in the feed(which the birds cannot opt out of taking as they can with oyster shell) can have negative health impacts for non-laying birds.

1 person likes this.
  3. KittyKisska

KittyKisska Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Thank u so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by