What kind of geese?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickerdoodle13, May 1, 2008.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    These are three of the four geese I will be adopting next wednesday. I'm just wondering if any of you have any idea what kinds they mind be! The greyish ones look like they may be embdens and the white looks like maybe a chinese gosling. The fourth one is yellow with black spots. Do you think that may be a mix? I have three other pics the lady sent me, but these were the best.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I think Embden.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have never had embdens, but do you think the all yellow one could be one also?

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I am pretty sure the all yellow one is Embden..the other 2 I am thinking not so much...Not sure what they might be, but I don;t think Embdnes get any gray or black ont hem..I believe they are solid yellow...

They are little cutie pies though!!! [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Embden males are solid yellow. Females have a stripe of dark coloring on the back. I am not so sure about a breed of gosling with spots - I can't help you there.

6. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    Yeah, I would say they are yellow and yellow and brown geese. [​IMG] No seriously I really don't have a clue on what kind they are. I just wanted to write and say they look very cute. I just love baby geese and ducks. [​IMG]

7. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's very interesting about the embden geese! So maybe I will end up with a trio then, seeing as how two are grey and one is white. I've actually been wanting to try some embdens, so maybe these babies will stay here instead of being adopted out.

I'm really interested to see the spotted one! I've always loved the way black and white spotted geese look, even if they are mixes! I will be picking these guys up next Wednesday.

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The one on the middle is a white chinese, you can see where the knob will be on its forehead. I can oly see the spotted ones head, this computer is dumb, but I will say it is a gray x embden cross. The other two look like American Buff geese, they have more of a gold color to them.

9. billson1

billson1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    lecenter minnesota
    i dont see the pics but i know that embden sometimes are gray when young and have found that it does not mean they are female or male they are not sex link like pilgrims are

10. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL, I guess I will just have to wait and see what they turn out to be! They are another week older or so than in the picture now, but I guess I will fin dout on Wednesday! Thanks everyone. You'll be seeing new pictures as soon as I get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by