What kind of gosling is this?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Frosty, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Any ideas? When I bought this gosling the pen said there were African and some kind of white geese, I can't remember what kind they were. Anyhow, I picked what looked like an African and if I recall I think it has a black bill at the time. But the bill has faded and the legs are really pale. I am not sure it's pure African. Thoughts? (The white ones are turkeys)

[​IMG]

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi there

Not easy to see with the gosling lying down but appears to be a Utility Toulouse. Should be a nice bird and the beak will gradually turn orange.

Hope that helps you.

Pete [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I also think it's a production Toulouse. They usually do have 'black' bills and feet as babies but they change to yellow as they get older. I don't see any start of a knob so I doubt that it's African.

4. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Boo... I wanted another African! I am actually glad that the African I have (from a hatchery) is probably crossed with Chinese... I am personally not fond of the huge dewlaps but she has a really nice personality. Not a pet and doesn't let me touch her, but not aggressive either while loose or after I do catch her. I just wish that since the pen was marked African and I think they had Embden (yellow downed whatever they were) that I had actually gotten an African. Looks like it's in the mix though, it does have the dark stripe down the back of the neck. I just hope that whatever it is doesn't turn mean...

Here is 'momma goose' (who never hatched an egg in her life, though she tries... I don't have a gander)

[​IMG]

Thank you for the help!

5. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    This is an old thread... I mentioned in a post above that I hoped the little gosling didn't get mean. I might have jinxed it, this thing is the meanest goose I ever had! I put it on it's back a few days ago and explained that I could have it for dinner if I wanted to. I might have to do that again, but if it bites me one more time I'm going to put an ad locally 'to good home with warm oven or fetish for being bit by goose'. The funny part... As you can see from the pics, it was raised with turkeys. The thing prefers to spend time with them instead of with other geese and I seriously think it's trying to protect them. They aren't even the same ones it was raised with, it just likes turkeys! It makes it hard to feed the turkeys when there is a grown goose trying to run me off. [​IMG]

6. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Hahahaha ! Well tell us what does it look like(make photo :) ) is it a gander or goose ?! :) what a funny story

7. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I tried to check while I had it flipped over but it was evening and I didn't have my glasses on. I don't think it's laying any eggs and is three this year, I think it might be a gander but I'm not positive.

Two pictures, one from the side and the other shows more of the stripe down the back of the neck...

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    That is a gander for sure. Now I am not good with other breeds of geese but sure looks like African and Toulouse mix to me, hope I spelled that right...

9. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Yep thats a gander alright and yea it looks like a toulouse X African

10. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    How can you guys tell it's a gander?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by