1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of gosling???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by tia, Apr 20, 2017.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Hello - The person I got goose eggs from had Embden, Toulose, Chinese, African, Buff, Tufted Buff. She said they tend to mate with their own breed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the eggs in state (Alaska) and out of 14 eggs I got this little guy. Only two were fertile. This might be a mix, but does this little guy look familiar as one of the types of geese I listed? He has a chunky little face. Thanks for helping me identify him/her.

Tia

2. pomnovice

pomnovice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I'd say from the breeds you've listed, he'd be closest to an Embden, as yellow down often translate to white.

3. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Thanks. He is a cute little guy.

4. pomnovice

pomnovice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2017
    Pennsylvania

He is! If he develops a knob, he's a Chinese, by the way. I see there might be one forming.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    All yellow like that is almost definitely a white chinese. All the other breeds you've listed start with some grey down or in the case of the buffs, some light brown down, on their backs.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Thanks! He doesn't know what to think of the ducklings I have him in the brooder with. They think he is a soft pillow and all want to cuddle up with him. He is a lot more mellow, but lets them know when he has had enough.[​IMG]
    He looks like their bright sunshine in this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by