what kind of growth is this, please help

Jan 31, 2019
SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
just picked up my white plymouth rock hen and this is what i found, she let me wash her, she eats drinks not sure if she lays an egg or not, i have 2 of these hens....she doesnt seem to be in any discomfort, i washed her good and put on some hydrocortizone cream.....do we need to see a vet?

Attachments

• LUCY 001.JPG
    LUCY 001.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 28
  • LUCY 002.JPG
    LUCY 002.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 24
If you have a vet that will see her, then yes that would be best. I can't tell exactly where that is located, but it could be a tumor, a cyst, an infected uropygial (preen) gland, to name a few possibilities. If it's infection it will need to be cleaned out and maybe a round of antibiotics. Looks like it may have been picked at also.

If you have a vet that will see her, then yes that would be best. I can't tell exactly where that is located, but it could be a tumor, a cyst, an infected uropygial (preen) gland, to name a few possibilities. If it's infection it will need to be cleaned out and maybe a round of antibiotics. Looks like it may have been picked at also.
it is right below her poop/egg vent about 2 inches, it is also very hard, not soft or mushy

Last edited:
OK, uropygial gland is at the top of the base of the tail, so that rules that out. Could be a feather cyst, other cyst, tumor, or infection of some kind. If you are up to it you could try soaking and cleaning it out on your own to see how it goes (chicken pus is firm so has to be dug out), or as always, a vet is always a good option if you have one. Here is a link with some pictures of feather cysts: https://www.beautyofbirds.com/feathercysts.html

yes, vet said some sort of tumor or cyst...$200.00 to remove it but serious risk involved, i just kept it clean and it as pretty much dried up, did not see any ill effects in her daily routine....
That's good to know.
I'm glad your hen is doing well.

I took in a neighbor's unwanted duck with a similar problem. The duck has a long (1 1/4 inches long x 3/4 inches wide) cylindrical growth just outside her vent. After some research, I figure it is a feather cyst. In addition to the cost and stress on the duck, this tumor is so close to the vent removal would be tricky (see story at www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue34.htm). I'm going to put her on antibiotics and try to keep it clean. A tricky location.

Your experience gives me hope.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom