what kind of guinea should i get?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by KWAK, Jan 29, 2011.

1. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    ok so in the spring i plan on getting a few guineas to try and cross with chickens, and pets lol...

but what kind?

plz post pics of yours [​IMG]

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    [​IMG]
    Here are my guineas. I think they're pearl guineas. I've heard the white guineas would not be a good choice for free ranging. My neighbors had some white guineas they let run loose all the time and all of them dissapeared. Don't know what happened to them but their normal colored ones are still running around.

3. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I have mostly pearls, but I have one pied and he is my favorite because he looks like he's wearing a white vest.
    I saw some photos of brown-colored ones which I think look interesting... But I'm all guineaed-out so it'll have to wait. lol.

Half mine hatched from eggs I bought at ebay, and the other half bought at a local auction.
    You can see them in my home movie. Its sort of a long movie but you can see guineas after the first 2 1/2 minutes.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    You need to read up on guinea crosses before you do that. They aren't very hardy, I've never heard of one living to be a year old! They're sterile, so you wont be able to breed them even if you do hatch them. Its just my opinion but while it's a novel thought in practice, it seems cruel to hatch something you know is going to die in a few months.

That being said, I have pearl, pied and lavender. They do live with the chickens in the same big coop.....but have never crossed on their own.

5. KWAK

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    yeah i dont think im actually going to do it lol. i just think it would be fun [​IMG]

6. KWAK

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:lol i watched that whole vid. a few weeks a go [​IMG]

7. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    lavender guineas are super pretty! [​IMG]

8. leoismydog

leoismydog Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2008
    we free ranges ours, we had whie, pied and pearl, eventually the foxes got the females on the nests. Males stuck it out 2 more years including a white , before they got to brave and stayed on the coop run 1 time to many where they got eaten. But the guineas are cool.
    I just ordered 30 from guineafarm, got the jumbos, pied, white, coral blue,royal purple and Pinto if available. I have set up a kids play house with an auto door hopefully they will home in it as its where i will raise them from chicks so they will know it from the beginning. Have fun and good luck get what you like color wise.

9. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    OK I made a MUCH shorter movie, with only guineas! Although by now obviously you know what they look like!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  10. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The guinea/chicken crosses we had lived for a few years and were as hardy as the guineas or chickens they lived with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by