What kind of hawk is this? pic heavy

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mama Hen Chris, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    I happened to be in the chicken coop checking the egg boxes and my 2 Shih Tzu's were barking a ferocious bark that I have never heard from them. I looked out the coop door and thought maybe the neighbor was looking over the fence. ( 3 gals were singing the egg song) I saw no neighbors, but the dogs would not stop. I walked to the patio and tried to send the dogs in the house and they would not go. In the corner of my eye I saw why they were barking. There was a hawk 3 feet away from me and the dogs!!!! It was sitting on our fence between the house and the pool. OMG!!!!!! It was soaking wet. I thought maybe it had fallen in the pool and jumped on the fence to dry. What I think really happened was that the bird was on the dogs pool ramp and it took a nice cool bath and jumped on the fence to dry off.

I ran in the house and got the dogs in (locked their doggie door) and grabbed my camera. Left the dogs in the house and took pics. The "girls" were still squawking but they were safe out of site under their "patio" in their run. They have a covered run as well and hardwire cloth. Am glad I got DH to change out the chicken wire. I do not let them free range in the yard without my supervision. Good thing!

Here I am now trying to get this bird to fly away. I threw my sandals at it, hitting it and it just gave me the stink eye. I hit it with the broom...still stink eye. This bird was not going anywhere! I stayed outside by my gals and watched this bird to make sure it did not see my gals. Apparently my gals knew it was there...they would not hush. Finally after an hour and trying again to shoo it away , it flew off.

I put more shade cloth on the sides of the run so nothing can see in. Since it is 100+ here, half my gals hang out in their A/C coop and the other half hang out under their patio with a mist system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looking from the "little girls apartment"
    [​IMG]

looking from the coop
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    well I do not know, but those are some great pics!

3. LostMindPleaseFind

LostMindPleaseFind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    Red Shoulder Hawk [​IMG]

4. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Thank you - up close and personal for sure....glad I have a telephoto lens!

5. Mama Hen Chris

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Thanks...will google about it.

6. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
  7. gjensen

gjensen Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2011
    Midlands, South Carolina
    I believe it is a juvenile red tailed hawk. I believe the sub species in your area is the Fuertes. I say that because of the dark patagial markings which sometimes is an id aid for red tails. I do not believe you would be likely to see a red shouldered hawk where you are at. I am no expert though. I have a hard time identifying with certainty when I go to different places. I use to drive out your way every year and only got generally familiar with your birds. I do better here all the way across the country. If you do positively id it, post it. Someone in your area may help.

8. Great photos! Not sure of the raptor but keep those hens under watch. That is incredible that a hawk will hang around long enough to get that many pics taken.

Oh yeah. Nice coop as well.

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Beautiful bird, just lovely.

I am no expert, but was thinking juvie Red Tail.

If wet, the bird cannot fly away. He/she must wait for the feathers to dry before they can actually get any loft.

If it was me, I would feel very honored that the bird chose my yard to bath in.

We have a Cooper's Hawk who hunts our property............he leaves the fowl alone and catches all the smaller wren type birds, doves and pigeons. But he has never taken a bath here that I have seen.

10. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Don't know what kind the bird is but great pictures and lovely coop...love the painting on the wall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by