what kind of heat lamp are you guys using

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashtray, Feb 28, 2009.

1. ashtray

ashtray Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    i will be getting 13 chicks on march the 9th and was wondering what heat lamp you guys are using ... also does anyone make a controlled thermostat that will keep the light at a certain temp .... post links to the thermostat if you can

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
  3. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    I use a red infared heat bulb 250 watt. then put the bulb about 18 inches from the floor. If it is too close the chicks will form a circle around the light. If it is to far away they will huddle together under the light. Better to be a little to close than to far away. Using the color of red reducing them pecking on each other.

4. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    My chicks are inside if I dont have a broody hen, I just use a plastic tote and a clip on 60 watt light from walmart, then I can adjust up or down depending on how much heat is needed.

5. Galloloco

Galloloco Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    I use the same thermostat that azelgin uses. I have tried the ceramic bulbs (150w and 250w) and they have all failed (maybe my fault). I now use 250W red bulbs

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Ditto. Mine is just about 14 inches from the floor so they stay a little further away until early morning when it's 55 outside and then they huddle a little closer to the light.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use a 60 watt incandescent bulb in my brooder lamp. The light does not seem to bother them. They still eat, sleep and poop. I have a bracket that I attached it to over my brooder so I can cover the brooder on really cold nights to keep the warmth in for the chicks. I don't have a thermostat but use a wireless digital thermometer to monitor the temperature in the brooder. It has an alarm on it that can be set to a certain temperature and will make a sound if the temp gets below what it's set to,

8. Superior Chicks

Superior Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Zoo Med 250 watt infared red heat lamp. REAL glass...not painted. All glass so NO white light is emitted.

Best price at petsolutions.com

Ma

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use a 250 watt red heat bulb.

10. ashtray

ashtray Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Staunton VA
    Quote:thanks [​IMG] thats what i was looking for

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by