What kind of heated pet bowl worked for you?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LynneP, Jan 15, 2010.

1. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I've bought an Allied brand heated pet bowl as shown here-

http://www.alliedprecision.com/petbowl.html

It replaces one from Farm Innovators which was more expensive and which failed after one winter but just after the warranty expired.
    I hope I have made the right choice, the Allied bowl is foam insulated, 50 W, and is UL and CSA approved and it has a protected cord and appears to be well-sealed against water damage where the cord enters the base of the bowl.

What have you used? Are you happy or not?

2. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I am currently using a cookie tin heater and it has worked great for me. I am a little worried about the water/elect mix problem but I sealed it up as best I could with silicone and used a 40 watt bulb, it has done a great job at -10 F.

3. LoveMyChicklets

LoveMyChicklets Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Lapeer, MI
    We have always used the plastic heated dog waterbowl. Actually been using the same one for 4 years and it works great. We do however have to keep it outside of the hen house in the pen. Otherwise they make a big mess in it [​IMG]

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I've considered that and I'm not ruling it out, but I'd want to use outdoor-approved fittings, just in case. I have a lovely flat cookie tin that could be perfect too. Our barn is insured and I'd want any claims (God forbid) to be honored if there were a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by