What kind of hen.?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by XavCas, Dec 25, 2012.

1. XavCas

XavCas Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    One of my pullets got pecked really bad on her head yesterday night. I did everything I had to do for her; clean her head, separate her, fresh food and water, etc. For some reason, the other chickens don't get along with her. I am building her her own coop / run for sure, but I know chickens are flock animals and I don't want her to be alone. When she is COMPLETELY HEALED, I do want to get her a friend ( hen ). I was just wondering what would be a good breed that is nice and sweet and docile and not really aggressive. Thank you .!

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

silkies are nice

3. XavCas

Oct 18, 2012
    That's what I was thinking. Just trying to get more input on other breeds.

4. salt and pepper

ameraucanas, and austrolorps are also nice

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  5. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

buff orphingtons are real easy going

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You could try something like a polish, I hear they often get picked on by other birds cause they're different and so mellow.

7. salt and pepper

x2, my Bo rooster often gets hen pecked!

8. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    you should introduce her with more chickens or just put her in a seprate coop with you lowest peking order hen or hens and then sloly introduce her..............

9. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    a single hen is not a good idea, if it is one bully, put that one off by herself for a couple of days to a week. This will supposedly reset the pecking order. But I have found, sometimes an older hen just gets crabby and mean, and needs to be removed from the flock.

But also, you might need to look at your numbers and your space. Problems like these are often caused by not enough space, after you have had chickens for a while, you will find that even adding one or getting rid of one or two will dramatically change your flock dynamics. My set up will handle 10-12 hens, depending on the size of the hens, and their temperament, if I have 14, you would be surprised at how crabby they all are.

MrsK

10. XavCas

Oct 18, 2012
    I am for sure going to put her in a coop we are building by herself. I cannot risk for her to get pecked violently like this again; she is barely making it through as it is. I think my coop is big enough.? I only have 4 chickens in it. When you introduce a Silkie, are they aggressive, do they fight alot and viciously.? How do they act when I introduce them.?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by