What kind of incubator do you use to leave hatchlings in?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TripTrapMtnHomestead, Jun 18, 2011.

1. TripTrapMtnHomestead

TripTrapMtnHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Western NC
    We have a small borrowed styrofoam one... I think I would have done a much better job not intervening if I had one with more room. Once our hatchlings started standing up they were bumping their little heads into the heating element so I ended up moving them to the brooder. I'm concerned that moving them (opening the incubator) is why my other eggs are having trouble.

So my question is for those who leave the hatchlings in with the other eggs... What kind of incubator do you use?

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have a hovabator and a Dickey's. I leave the chicks in with the eggs until the hatch is over. Opening the lid on the styrafoam type can be a death sentence for the rest of the chicks that have not hatched.

3. TripTrapMtnHomestead

Jun 7, 2011
    Western NC
    I would love a Dickey's but cannot afford one. Is there enough room in the Hovabator for hatchlings to move around safely?

4. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes, there is plenty of room for them to move around. I actually wish the hatching tray in the Dickey's was taller. They can't stand all the way up in there. I can't afford the Dickey's either but my crazy husband spent his grant money on it for me for my birthday. I would have never bought it myself in a million years! LOL But I love it!!!!

5. TripTrapMtnHomestead

Jun 7, 2011
    Western NC
    i noticed that "married to an enabler" in your signature. [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I have a sportsman 1502 and love it. Have chicks in it today drying off [​IMG] I used to own a hovabator but sold it to a friend when I got my larger cabinet incubator from hubby [​IMG] I love him! LOL What kind did you borrow?

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Brower top hatch,now that I have it figured out I have great hatches.I start the eggs in my 2 home made incubators and once they get closer to hatch I switch them to the Brower.

8. TripTrapMtnHomestead

Jun 7, 2011
    Western NC
    Quote:oh! i like how you can see in the whole thing. is the heating element in the bottom?

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:oh! i like how you can see in the whole thing. is the heating element in the bottom?

No the heat comes from a light bulb,there is a fan under the light circulating the heat.You should research Browers as not everyone likes them.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by