1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what kind of incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by petchickenlover, Apr 7, 2011.

1. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I've never used that kind. I would think a good thermometer and hygrometer would be necessary so you can make sure your temp and humidity are where they should be.

3. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    i think in general, most people think that hovabator's are better than LG's

also, most people, again, in general, find a forced air better than a thermal air

4. pruitt514

pruitt514 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Suches, Ga
    I thought about buying the same one. I was going to try the PC fan in the bator to make it forced air.

5. latebloomer

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    i have the hovabator 1602n to which a fan from incubator warehouse has been added. i'm in lockdown on my second hatch with it, for the second time, i'm using shipped eggs. the first hatch was at 50%, which i've read is about par for the course, i was hoping for more, but my fingers are still crossed on this second hatch.

6. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    For $150 why not get a Brinsea?? I have a Brinsea Eco 20 and an LG, absolutely no comparison. Brinsea wins in every category. Good luck!

7. pruitt514

pruitt514 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Suches, Ga
    That is the problem $ 150.00 without the egg turners. That is too rich for my blood.[​IMG]

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have the 1602n and hatch the stupid thing. Can't get temp over 99, so I use it just to hatch in. Go for something with a fan.

Incubator Warehouse has the Genesis 1588 (which has a fan) for $119.99. And save $5 with coupon code 5off25.

They also carry the turner. http://incubatorwarehouse.com/index.php/hova-bator-egg-turner-chicken.html

Cheapest
    place i've found the genesis for. I have 2 and love them. You don't really need the turner, you can just hand turn or tilt the incubator a couple times a day.

Or they have the 1588 +turner for $160 http://incubatorwarehouse.com/index.php/hova-bator-genesis-1588-starter-kit.html?___store=default

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  9. latebloomer

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    Quote:i haven't had the temperature problems sundown has, but if i were going to hatch a lot more, i'd try that genesis for sure.

10. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Thanks for the input! I'll look at the suggestions and pick the best for me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by