What Kind Of Insulation For The Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by karlamaria, Apr 7, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    WE LIVE IN mONTANA, ITS COLD,AND i MEAN COLD IN THE WINTER AND FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME. (oops sorry had the caps on) any ways how does one insulate a coop to keep it warmer?? Im needing some help on this, Im not sure . we got 6 chickens today, there in the brooder, we are having a coop made and I want to be sure to add the things it will need before its started. Any help will be appreciated much [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    read it [​IMG] thanks much [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    There isn't likely any reasonable way to actually insulate/heat a coop in Montana, Alaska, or where I live, in Northern Michigan.

Not so. Plenty of Alaskans have insulated coops (some heated, some unheated), although not all do.

I don't live in QUITE as cold an area, myself, but we do get down to like -30 F many years, and because my chickens are in a former dog breeding kennel building (was here when we bought the place) which has superinsulated ceiling and 6" stud walls, and slab floor for thermal mass, and passive solar features, it does not get below +20 F in the winter even with popdoors open. Mind, I can do that because I have relatively few chickens in a relatively large building so do not have to have lots of weather blowing thru just to keep the humidity down; you will not get such a dramatic effect in 99% of other situations (and I would not deliberately design for it; it's just what this building *does*, on its own)

Whether insulation is worthwhile depends on your coop's heat balance going into evening, in the winter. If it has some reasonable store of internal heat -- either thermal mass that has got warmed up during the day from daytime highs and/or sunlight, or earth-source heat from being a good-sized coop on dirt or slab floor, or if you are actually running electric heat in there -- then it really DOES help to insulate, yes even WITH vents open.

The only times when insulation is pretty pointless is if you are running a basically fresh-air type coop (with such large amounts of air exchange that there is no way it can ever be higher than outdoor temp) or if the coop is so small and/or thermal-mass-less that there simply is no significant storehouse of heat FOR the insulation to be retaining.

Any kind of insulation works fine, either batts or rigid foamboard. Either kind needs to be concealed in TIGHT carpentry so it doesn't become a rodent farm.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by