What kind of knife?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MuranoFarms, May 21, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    What kind of knife for slicing the neck? A butcher knife? Or should I go with something more like a razor blade cutter? I don't want to make the guy suffer. I'm most worried about this part then anything else.

2. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
  3. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    Anything sharp. I prefer a knife longer than 4". Have been using this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019WU7MO/ref=oss_product

I suspect it's the same knife as in the link above but the victorinox site doesn't link well.

Before this I was just using a long kitchen knife. Sharp, sharp, sharp. Cutting feathers makes it dull with a quickness so try to avoid that.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    For the slice to the neck I use the Rapala 6" filet knife. I buy two or three each year, one for fileting fish, one for butchering deer, bear, and elk, and another for household use. Sharpen in a steel before every use, and get a new one when it no longer takes an edge. Filet knives are disposable tools for me.

5. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    I use a knife almost identical to the one Sundown linked to, only it is a 4 inch, which feels more comfortable to me. But sharp sharp sharp. I've heard of people using box knives and Xactos to make sure they are sharp enough, but I like a longer blade.

Speaking of sharpness, if you're not that great at a sharpening stone the Chef's Choice electric sharpeners are expensive, but they're completely foolproof for razor sharp knives in no time at all. I wish I had bought one years ago.

6. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Quote:I purchased a very good steel and bought my knives from a knife company that gave me lifetime sharpening.

7. chickensgalore

chickensgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    hillsdale,michigan
    would pruning shears work?

8. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    I use pruning shears! It's over and done with just like that. I never liked how long it took with a sharp knife (my fault, not the technique's) so I switched with great results!

9. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Something sharp and with heft. My husband used his bowie-sized hunting/survival knife and it startled us how quick it went. A sharp butcher cleaver would do it too. We're thinking of getting one.

My husband wants to get a mini-guillotine now for the deed. [​IMG] [​IMG] He has a wry sense of humor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by