What kind of lightbulb to use???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickitychicks, Nov 25, 2013.

1. chickitychicks

chickitychicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Hi, I have a small coop about 4x6x3 feet which sits on top of the same size run. I would like to give the chickens some supplemental light so that they would lay, which they also need to be able to see inside, now that I have to close the door/window due to cold. This is their first winter, and they have been laying for about 5-6 months. I have this bulb that is warm white light 14w CFL =60w, also 2700K, and 900 lumens. Is this the right kind of light? Thank you.

2. anniep

anniep Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Hello, I would use a red light. A white light shows more detail. If one of your chickens were to get a scratched then you may have a problem because the white light shows the blood. Now, the red light may not completely eliminate the problem but will definitely make it less of a worry. The white light just makes the blood more prominent and the chickens may start a line of canabalism. This is just my opinion though. But I use a red light and have no problems and the hens lay just the same in the winter and the summer. Good Luck!!

3. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are in a "northern" area that experiences reduced daylight hours in the winter, everything I have read says to use white light to keep the hens laying. I've even read that it needs to be a specific type/amount of white light.

I have white LED Christmas string lights up in my coop - they were cheap to purchase, easy to install, and don't increase my electric bill. I ran them last winter, and had no drop in laying. I had them on a timer set to come on at 3am and off at 8am each day. In the past, I have used fluorescent bar lights, and while they also worked well, they were a bit more of a bother to install, and weren't as cheap to operate as LEDs.

4. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I use a low watt compact florescent bulb. You don't want it too bright, it can make the birds nervous and jittery. A 25 watt bulb (or CF equivalent) should be plenty for a small area like what you are talking about. I use a bulb this size inside a 12x16 coop. Provides a nice soft warm light without being harsh or too bright.

5. chickitychicks

Feb 13, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is my coop. I live in NW Indiana. I have 6 very happy, healthy, hard working, beautiful, content hens. :) i normally get 5-6 eggs daily, but yesterday, I got only 2. I am afraid to introduce lighting because I am afraid they will go crazy and start pecking at each other, and here's why. Their food is in the run, water is upstairs now because it is in a heated dish. If I turn the light on at 3 am, it is bright inside, but the run is still dark, and their food is in the run. I am afraid that by the time it gets bright outside, they will get in trouble upstairs doing who knows what. Also, the bulb would be plugged in right above the entrance into their favorite nestbox. If I give them food upstairs, they will probbably be pooping all over the place inside, and the coop design is not the easiest kind when it comes to cleaning. I know, I don't know why I am telling you this, but I just have to share this with somebody. Maybe I should put a bulb in the run, too. But then, the same kind of puzzle What kind of bulb, everybody is suggesting a different kind. I read so much about this, and everybody has a different idea ( too bright, wrong color, not enough lumens, wrong kind, you need warm light, no, you need daylight, no red heat light, no, led, etc.) I have been happy with this coop, but now, I wish I had a slightly different design.

6. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

The design of your coop would be perfect for strings of LED Christmas lights. They can be installed flush with the ceiling, as they do not heat up at all. That would keep them out of the way. You could also run them around the perimeter of the run if you wanted to light it up. I think you can have 5 (or maybe more???) strings attached together with only one plugged in to an outlet because they draw such a tiny amount.

I have not ever had any pecking problems, but I understand your concerns. You could always try it, and if they do start pecking, just turn the lights off and take them down. You can always use the lights to decorate your house, so you really aren't wasting any $$$.

7. chickitychicks

Feb 13, 2013
    Thank you for your advice. I will try Christmas led lights in the run, and cfl light in the coop, and just see what happens.

8. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

I've been using a red CF. There hasn't been any picking so far. I just leave it on around the clock, the birds don't seem to mind. They settle right in in the evenings and are quiet throughout the night and in the morning when I check on them. They aren't due to begin laying for a few more months, so I guess we will see if it is OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by