1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What kind of little girl is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenmommy1, Mar 16, 2012.

1. chickenmommy1

chickenmommy1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I have a little chick that I got from TCS as a replacement because I had one to die after 2 days. She is supposed to be a girl and is light yellow with black spots all over her. We lovingly call her Miss Dottie [​IMG][​IMG].. Any information is appreciated

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Sounds like a Cornish X... my TSC got the chicks mixed up last year and I accidentally bought four Cornish Xs that were in the "pullets" bin (two of them were actually cockerels). Those are the only yellow spotted chicks that I've seen at TSC, although I've heard of "Austra Whites" being sold there.

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Cornish X are the meat birds and are all yellow/white... and they don't sex them. Are you thinking of Columbian Rock Cross?

They were selling amberlinks at one of my local TSC and those were yellow with black spots.

4. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    No, I was thinking of the Cornish X meat birds. Mine had spots and all of the ones I saw when I was at TSC recently had spots, although the spots are small and easy to miss. I know they don't sex them; the ones I bought had somehow gotten mixed up or mislabeled.
    I've never seen an Amberlink chick and didn't know that they sold them at TSC - I've never seen them in my local TSC - but if it was in the "pullets" bin and Amberlinks are yellow and white then that very well could be what it is.
    A photo would probably also help to determine the breed [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

could be white rocks, Culmbian rocks, Cornish xs, or anything lol

Post pics [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Pictures would help a lot.

7. chickenmommy1

chickenmommy1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These are the best photos I could get of her. She is a lighter yellow then shown and has white tips on her wings woth the black spots from her head and down her back

8. clucknpeck

clucknpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    I don't know much about chickens yet, but my town had California white and they looked like that. I guess that breed is half leghorn...

If they are that would pretty cool. I have read they are amazing producers but still pretty sweet.

9. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

10. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    Oh yeah, I forgot about those! Yup, California Whites are yellow with spots like that. She isn't Columbian colored (not enough black) and she isn't solid white, so I'd say California White, Austra White, Amberlink, or Cornish X (unless there is another breed like that that I've forgotten. You probably won't know for sure for a couple weeks, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by